Totally-Funded Boehringer Ingelheim Fonds PhD fellowships 2023-24, Germany
Deadline for purposes: 1 February 2023
The Boehringer Ingelheim Fonds (BIF) awards PhD fellowships of two to three.5 years to excellent junior scientists worldwide who want to pursue an formidable PhD undertaking in fundamental biomedical analysis in an internationally main laboratory.
The peer-review choice course of evaluates the applicant’s achievements, in addition to the scientific high quality of the undertaking and host laboratory. The method is very aggressive, with lower than 10% of candidates receiving a fellowship.
On prime of the month-to-month stipend, we provide our fellows seminars, journey allowances, particular person and private assist, and a worldwide community of fellows and alumni.
Our PhD fellowships provide
A Boehringer Ingelheim Fonds (BIF) PhD fellowship presents a aggressive month-to-month stipend. It’s initially granted for two years and could also be prolonged as soon as for as much as 1.5 years.
As well as, you obtain journey allowances, e.g. for scientific conferences, and take part in tailored seminars for BIF fellows and alumni.
As a BIF fellow, you additionally grow to be a part of a vigorous and worldwide community constructed on belief, helpfulness, and lots of private encounters. Irrespective of which challenges lie forward, you will see that an open ear and particular person recommendation from like-minded friends or the BIF’s workers.
The month-to-month fee
Your month-to-month stipend could include a country-dependent premium. The ultimate sum normally additionally features a fastened month-to-month quantity to cowl minor project-related prices. Collectively, they add as much as, e.g. 2,100 euros in Germany, 2,000 euros in Spain, 2,450 euros in Austria, 2,600 euros within the Netherlands, 2,570 euros in the UK, and three,500 euros within the USA and Switzerland. The stipends are normally tax-free.
We advise candidates wishing to work in international locations the place stipends are topic to strict authorized or tax laws, e.g. Austria, Denmark, Norway, and Switzerland, to confer with our PhD fellowship circumstances.
Relying in your private scenario, you might obtain further month-to-month advantages, e.g. a baby care allowance of as much as 500 euros and/or a partner allowance of 200 euros. For additional particulars, please confer with our PhD fellowship circumstances.
Along with the month-to-month stipend, you possibly can obtain funds to:
- Current your knowledge at worldwide scientific conferences
- Take part in strategies programs helpful on your PhD undertaking
- Carry out analysis in cooperating laboratories.
We’re there for you
On the BIF, we put folks first. We meet our fellows face-to-face at any time when attainable. This permits us to assist you individually. Whether or not you may have questions regarding profession decisions, face hurdles throughout your PhD, or want recommendation on different subjects, we are going to hearken to you and provide our experience. We function as flexibly and unbureaucratically as attainable, so as to focus in your PhD.
You’ll revenue from tailored BIF seminars throughout and after your fellowship – for scientific trade, communication coaching, and networking. We’re current in any respect seminars and encourage an open, pleasant, and constructive environment. At our seminars, fellows and alumni have began scientific cooperations, mentioned profession choices, and cast lifelong friendships.
Who can apply for a PhD fellowship
The Boehringer Ingelheim Fonds (BIF) awards PhD fellowships to European residents working in Europe or abroad and to non-European residents pursuing their PhD tasks in Europe *.
The PhD tasks have to be experimental, within the discipline of fundamental biomedical analysis, and geared toward elucidating fundamental organic phenomena of human life and buying new scientific data.
For additional necessities, see beneath in addition to FAQs.
Deadlines: February 1, June 1, and October 1 of every yr
On the deadline
- Your first college entrance qualification (secondary or highschool leaving certificates, A-levels, or entrance/entry check for first college research after ending college) should not have been accomplished greater than 8 years, i.e. 96 months in the past.
- Pure scientists ought to have been awarded their final college diploma earlier than embarking on their PhD (BSc, diploma, MSc, or equal). You probably have not but completed your MSc research and/or haven’t acquired your MSc diploma certificates by the deadline, you possibly can submit it as much as 4 months after the deadline.
- Physicians, veterinary surgeons, and pharmacists ought to have handed their state examinations.
Candidates from the identical laboratory
If two candidates from the identical laboratory apply for a PhD fellowship on the identical time, solely one in every of them could obtain a fellowship. We, due to this fact, suggest that they apply at completely different deadlines.
Timing of software
You need to apply when you find yourself about to begin, or have simply began, your PhD undertaking, no preliminary outcomes are anticipated. You probably have begun your undertaking greater than six months previous to the deadline, you might be not eligible to use.
Definition of the beginning of a PhD undertaking
- When you proceed to work in your MSc/BSc thesis analysis group: the date at which you obtained your highest diploma (e.g. BSc, MSc, diploma, DEA, licenciatura, laurea) earlier than embarking in your PhD.
- When you change the analysis group: the month of arrival on the laboratory through which you pursue your PhD undertaking, regardless of the undertaking you began to work on.
- In case your PhD programme requires preliminary lab rotations and your final lab rotation is in your PhD lab: the tip of your lab rotation interval.
In different circumstances, e.g. when taking part in MSc/PhD programmes or graduate faculties with out an official closing examination previous to the PhD undertaking, please contact us.
What we do and don’t fund
We don’t fund
- Utilized analysis, similar to biotechnological and pharmaceutical growth (e.g. growth of assays for diagnostic functions or drug screening, optimization or screening of gear for therapeutic use, growth of drug supply programs or vaccines)
- Research on the course of illnesses or the therapy of signs or medical research
- Botanical and prokaryotic investigations, except they’re of normal organic significance
- Training. As we will solely assist analysis, fellowships will not be used through the course and rotation part of PhD programmes, however solely at some point of the PhD undertaking.
For additional examples, please see What we fund and don’t fund.
We assist solely experimental tasks in fundamental biomedical analysis, together with in silico tasks.
- Evaluation of RNA polymerase I construction and transcription regulation
- The function of spontaneous exercise within the growth of neural circuits
- Intestinal symbionts induce distinct populations of regulatory T cells
- Heterochromatin protein 1 secures survival and transmission of malaria parasites
- Epigenetic reprogramming within the maternal germ line.
For additional examples, please see What we fund and don’t fund or browse the summaries of accomplished PhD tasks in Futura, the BIF’s worldwide journal.
Funding from others
The Boehringer Ingelheim Fonds have to be notified if an software is submitted to another research-sponsoring establishment. Ought to an applicant take up an award from one other establishment previous to the choice of the BIF, the applying to the Boehringer Ingelheim Fonds is taken into account withdrawn and the BIF have to be notified instantly.
Exceptions are made for fellowships completely overlaying tuition charges.
Please confer with our PhD fellowship circumstances.
The PhD fellowship is meant to cowl your residing bills, so as to totally focus in your PhD. Due to this fact, you might not obtain a daily private earnings from an employer whereas being funded by a BIF fellowship. Nonetheless, one working contract of as much as 5 hours per week yielding a marginal earnings could also be acceptable.
Candidates wishing to work in international locations the place stipends underlie strict authorized or tax laws, similar to Austria, Denmark, Norway, or Switzerland, please confer with our PhD fellowship circumstances.
Supply / Extra data: Official Web site HERE.