ISTA Funded PhD program 2023-24, Austria
Deadline for purposes: 28 February 2023
WE ARE LOOKING FOR HIGHLY QUALIFIED CANDIDATES TO APPLY FOR THE PHD PROGRAM AT ISTA.
BACHELOR’S AND MASTER’S STUDENTS ELIGIBLE TO APPLY
ISTA welcomes college students with totally different educational backgrounds who can carry their expertise and experiences to the scientific setting.
College students with a Bachelor’s or Grasp’s diploma in biology, chemistry, neuroscience, arithmetic, pc science, physics, information science and scientific computing and associated areas are inspired to use.
HOW DO I APPLY?
ISTA processes purposes to its PhD program annually. The software portal is now reopen. To apply, you need to create a web-based account, which can mean you can observe your software via its varied levels. We don’t settle for purposes and paperwork acquired outdoors of this technique.
APPLY NOW:PhD software software (GenApp)
Deadline to submit your software is 28 February 2023 (15:00 CET). Referees have till 5 March 2023 (23:59 CET) to submit suggestions.
Please obtain the directions guide right here.
Please fill out the shape utilizing an online browser on a desktop pc. Internet browsers on cellular gadgets (i.e. Android, iPhone, iPad, and so forth.) are not supported.
NB. If you happen to had already created/submitted an software for the 2023 name, you’ll need to recreate this and submit your paperwork once more – together with referee particulars and references. All beforehand submitted information has been misplaced because of the assault.
WHAT APPLICATION MATERIALS ARE REQUIRED?
We ask you to add the next paperwork to the appliance portal:
- Assertion of function that explains your analysis expertise and your motivation for making use of to the ISTA PhD program. It ought to be 1-2 pages most. In your assertion, specify as much as three analysis teams you discover probably the most fascinating. At this stage you don’t want to contact potential supervisors.
- College transcripts and diplomas of all diploma packages and all years you might have attended and/or are at the moment enrolled in (in English and in unique language)
- Contact info of three referees
All paperwork should be submitted in English and copies of college transcripts additionally of their unique language.
WHAT ARE THE SELECTION CRITERIA?
The choice committee makes use of a set of indicators to guage the applicant’s preparedness, motivation, and potential. The next will likely be thought-about:
- undergraduate efficiency: total, with a particular concentrate on related field-specific programs
- reference letters offered by professors and senior scientists: one letter from trade is appropriate, however letters from a tutorial background are given precedence; referees are requested to deal with analytical capabilities, technical proficiency, capability to work independently and motivation/dedication;
- assertion of function: the applicant’s previous analysis expertise and motivation for making use of to this explicit PhD program: is it a great educational match? does this system contribute to the candidate’s future profession plans?, and so forth.;
- further related expertise (field-specific): demonstrated in, e.g., internships and/or participation in analysis initiatives, participation in science Olympiads, programming languages, lab strategies, and so forth.
- transferable expertise: e.g. communication expertise, expertise with working in groups, earlier mobility and worldwide experiences, management expertise as demonstrated in scholar organizations, and so forth.;
- variety: e.g. a girl in pc science/math/physics; an applicant who switched fields, and so forth.;
APPLICATION AND SELECTION TIMELINE
The appliance name for 2023 opens, by exception, on 16 December 2022 and ends on 28 February 2023. The primary assessment course of will likely be accomplished in March. Candidates will notified about their standing in early to mid-April.
Shortlisted candidates are invited for interviews, to happen in late April and mid Could. Interviews could also be performed both distant or onsite. Supply letters will exit in late Could or early June, and candidates can settle for or decline the supply of admission by 30 June. The beginning of the PhD program is uniformly on 15 September.
|Utility opens||16 December 2022|
|Utility closes||28 February 2023 15:00 CET|
|Pre-selection conferences||late March/early April|
|Scholar Interviews||late April/mid Could|
|Remaining choice conferences||late Could|
|Provides despatched out||after the ultimate choice assembly|
|Supply should be accepted||30 June 2023|
|Begin of PhD program||15 September 2023|
STATUS OF OUR STUDENTS
PhD college students are employed by ISTA. Previous to the Qualifying Examination, their actions include coursework, rotation initiatives inside analysis teams, and preparation for the Qualifying Examination. As soon as the scholars have efficiently handed the Qualifying Examination, they carry out analysis on their PhD thesis venture inside a number of analysis teams, they usually could help in instructing actions.
All our PhD college students obtain internationally aggressive salaries and full social safety protection. College students additionally obtain monetary assist to attend scientific conferences and workshops throughout their research.
Scientific interns are employed by ISTA. They’re enrolled in a Bachelor’s or Grasp’s diploma program in good standing at a level granting establishment (apart from ISTA) whereas performing a analysis venture inside a analysis group of ISTA for a interval of as much as 1 12 months.
ISTerns obtain a month-to-month compensation. The ISTernship program is developed in cooperation with the OeAD, the Austrian Company for Worldwide Cooperation in Training and Analysis. The OeAD handles the scholarship funds for a interval of as much as 3 months between Could 15 and September 15.
PhD scholar salaries depend upon whether or not the coed is holding a bachelor’s or a grasp’s diploma on the time of admission. When college students cross their Qualifying Examination (about 1.5 years into their diploma), they obtain a wage elevate. Gross salaries within the 12 months 2023 for PhD college students vary – depending on the factors above – from 2471 EUR/month to 3003 EUR/month (paid 14 instances a 12 months: as soon as per 30 days plus double funds in June and November).
ISTA provides scientific interns a minimal wage of EUR 1,184 gross per 30 days.
ADMISSION COSTS AND TUITION FEES
ISTA doesn’t cost any tuition charges. No software payment is required to use to our PhD and internship packages.
RESEARCH FUNDING AND AWARDS
In all fields of analysis, funding is of paramount significance to maintain the sources wanted by scientists. ISTA depends on numerous funding sources to assist all its researchers.
The Grant Workplace is there to assist candidates wishing to use for exterior funding. PhD college students at ISTA are not any exception since it’s best to accumulate grant writing expertise early on in a single’s scientific profession. For tutorial job purposes, aggressive peer-reviewed fellowships could be a highly effective indicator that 1) you’re a scientist value investing in, and a couple of) that your analysis initiatives are of the very best high quality.
Fellowships which have been awarded to PhD college students and interns at ISTA embrace:
- DOC fellowships from the Austrian Academy of Science
- Böhringer Ingelheim Basis fellowships
- IBM PhD Fellowship
- FEMTech Stipends of the FFG, and
- ISTernships (internally funded).
College students will also be a part of bigger initiatives inside their analysis teams. ISTA has been significantly profitable in receiving numerous prestigious European Analysis Council (ERC) grants which reward progressive initiatives for his or her analysis excellence.
As well as, college students could also be concerned in initiatives funded by extra native sources resembling:
- the Austrian Science Fund (FWF)
- the Land Niederösterreich (NFB)
The chance to community with different establishments is without doubt one of the highlights of the cooperative grants at the moment working at ISTA. These carry collectively eminent scientists (and generally corporations) from throughout Europe and past to work on challenges in a selected area. They will also be particularly geared toward PhD scholar coaching, as is the case with:
- Doktoratskollegs from the FWF
- Preliminary Coaching Networks (ITN) from the European Fee
All scientists at ISTA are supported by the Grant Workplace in all issues associated to exterior funding: from software, implementation, to reporting to the related funding organizations.
Supply / Extra info: Official Web site HERE.